Friday, February 21, 2014

My family and I live in a land locked state. My family being myself, my husband, and our 2 -year-old son. I also include my parents in this family count, as I am an only child and that is what we do. Even living in a land locked state we have a southern state of mind. I should say we at least can say we live "at the top of the south"- land locked or not, 51 weeks a year. But one week out of every year we all take a trip to the deep South- where the shrimp is fresh, the grits are hot, and the heat has been cranked all all the way up. And that one week is pure bliss- from the food, to the people, to the views.  Give me a porch and a cold ice tea and I'm in heaven.  This is a family trip that started when I was too young to remember. We would load the car and head to my great aunt and uncles house on the beach.  As years have passed the destinations has changed, and people have been added. But the overall idea has remained the same. The traditions have continued- as I pray they always will.  And our week in southern hospitality and sun heal our land locked souls. As a mom, I now relish watching my son's stick is toes in the sand, explore with his pop, and chase the ocean waves. Every seashell is a mystery, every piece of wood must be touched and examined, every view must be taken in.  It was the same when I was a child. The South has offered our family a break from the hills that surround us- to explore and find adventure and peace- no matter how simple it may be, as a family.

1 comment:

cait said...

love this post so much!! it takes me back to our summer vacations to the beach...such treasured times! that week will be here before you know it.