I've always a pretty healthy person. I love farmers market, fresh fruit, and fresh veggies. I'm not big on boxed processed food (I don't ever say never but typically I stay away from it). Lately, because of Little Man I've really been thinking hard about what we put in our bodies, and his. I go to the farmers market during the summer on a regular basis, and try my hand at my own back yard garden, but in the winter it gets a little more challenging. I'm so excited to say that I met a wonderful lady through Anthony's work. Anthony works for Kentucky Farm Bureau. It is a local insurance company and they have ties with local farmers. This particular farm is called Deutsch Farms. The lady I spoke to is Sandy. They offer a great farm share deal. I'm sure you may have heard of something like this before. You buy ahead of time a part of the farm, and then each week on let's say Tuesday you go and pick up your basket of fresh produce. It makes sense in theory, but the problem is you may not need the produce at that time, or may not like the produce offered. This share is different. You can get what you want, when you want and it is just deducted from your prepaid amount. You also get a discount in buying a share. I recommend you check them out on Facebook!
On a side healthy note, here are some other goals for the New Year...- no more lunch meat- bake a turkey, and use as lunch meat, freeze what we need to.
- no margarine- butter only
- season with herbs- not sauces
- make my own bread more often
- find a local farmer and inquire about the price for fresh chicken (pricey but is it worth it this year)
- continue to stay away from the "dirty dozen"
- fresh eggs- it is crazy how much brighter they are and how much harder the shell is. I have no clue why this is, but I'm assuming it is a good thing
- continue to avoid processed, boxed foods
- a big if- but I'd love to learn how to make things like homemade pasta, and wheat thins (I know that's weird, but I found an easy recipe).
- continue to make Little Man's food and Gracie's treats
I've been trying to eat much more natural lately- no quick crappy snacks when I get home (this is my downfall) etc. I did treat myself to a small bowl of ice cream tonight, but I've done really well and felt a lot better.
No comments:
Post a Comment