Sunday, January 11, 2009

Madly in love?

I had coffee the other afternoon with two very dear friends. They are colleagues that I met through a program I did 2 summers ago and they are both close to my mom's age. They each have a daughter who is close to my age. Anyway-I digress. Their daughters both happen to be getting married this summer. Helaine asked Kathy how the wedding plans were going and Kathy told us that her daughter had called off the wedding 3 months earlier. She said her daughter called home and said she loved him but that she wasn't madly in love with him and she thought she should be madly in love when she got married. I couldn't help but think of something I heard the other day on the news about how girls have this fairy tale in their minds because of movies and books and all the romance in them that isn't necessarily realistic. Now I am not saying that this girl is in the wrong or that she even has these ideas because of romantic comedies but it does make me think. I talked with Anthony about it and asked him if he thought we were "madly in love" when we got married. He thought as I did that "madly in love" is something in the beginning of a relationship, you know when you get butterflies in your belly. We have a deep love for each other and neither of us would ever give that up but when someone says "madly in love" I don't know if that is how I would describe us as. It may just be a difference of opinion in what "madly in love" is. What this all boils down to is... is there a forever madly in love or is it something that is in the movies? Will some girls look for the movie love that doesn't necessarily exist- you know the Sweet Home Alabama type love and be disappointed in the end when in real love there is compromise and disagreements and work? Don't get me wrong I love the love Anthony and I have I just know better that it isn't always flowers and sunny days.

No comments: