Friday, January 7, 2011

Day to day

I've been considering this post for a while. I want to say it just the right way. Since we've had Miss L several people have made the comment to me that we are brave. That they couldn't do it. Not knowing if they would get to keep her or not. I'm not sure how to explain to them without coming across in the wrong way but who's to say that even if you have a natural born child you'll be able to keep them. God forbid something could happen. You are not in charge and don't know what your future holds. I think that is often taken for granted. You never know what will happen from day today. All you can do is have faith and hope. I don't want to be a Debbie downer. I just want to put things into perspective. You live day for day and enjoy each moment of that day. Anthony and I were talking the other night and I asked him if knowing what he knows now would he go back and tell them no we wouldn't take Miss L. He said absolutley not and I completely agree. We are having so much fun and I wouldn't take this time back for anything. Not to mention that she is safe, happy, and healthy. This doesnt mean that if she leaves us I won't be upast. It just means I am loving the "now". So, no we are not any braver than anybody else we are just more aware, out of necessity to be grateful for the day today. Just another lesson that God is teaching us through this process. I'll add it to the list of patience, hope, and faith.

5 comments:

cait said...

Wow...what a powerful message! You are so right and honestly, I had never thought about everything this way. What an awesome testimony to what God is teaching you through this. That little one is blessed by each day she has in your all's arms. I'm so glad you decided to post this.

Have a wonderful weekend!

Dianne said...

You are such a wonderful, bright, loving person and I am so proud to say you are my daughter. I learn from you continually as you will from Miss L :) I love you.
Mom

BARBIE said...

Absolute truth spoken here. Yes, I have four children, on loan to me from God. They are not mine. They are his. And when the time comes, whenever it may be, I will relinquish them back into his care. Thank you for speaking from your heart.

Jenny said...

Very cool perspective, Jess. I think you have a great point. We need not take what we have for granted because it could all be gone in an instant for any one of us. Scary, but true. Great post! You really got me thinking.

Kate said...

I've been thinking about this some lately. Whenever I tell people what we are doing they either think we are saints or crazy. To the point where I just don't tell people because I don't like defending my sanity and saint seems far from fitting.

Also, I don't think we are either. Like you said, natural birth carries no certainty. No certainty that the child will be healthy, happy, brilliant, cute, whatever. You have higher probabilities of some things (ie child will not be addicted to drugs) but have zero control over others. For example Marshall and I have decided that for our first foster child, we are not ready for any mental handicaps. We don't get to make that decision when/if we have a natural pregnancy. It is what is. And so ends my monologue that is way too practiced.

Ghandi said be the change you want to see in the world. If 8% of Christians adopted one child there would be no more orphans in the world. I'm proud of you for being a great mother and think about you all the time!

Hope you guys are doing well, xoxo kate