Tuesday, January 11, 2011

I'm on a roll

So apparently I am back on my soap box tonight. A bill was just passed in Kentucky that will seriously affect education. Seeing as that I am a teacher, I have an opinion. There is one part of the bill that ethically upsets me. It says that teachers will be paid for their students' good test scores... I feel like this goes against everything I believe in and teach my kids. I just had a conversation with my class the other day. We were discussing their responsibility for their homework. One student suggested that I give them a reward if their complete their homework. Another student immediately raised his hand and said "we shouldn't be rewarded for something we should do anyway". That is exactly how I feel. It is my job to teach these students. All of them. No matter what. If you offer me a monitory reward I won't teach any harder than I do now. I work my butt off for no monitory reward:) I can't tell them one thing and do another. Besides, as a teacher you know going into it you aren't going to make millions. OK. I'll step off my soap box now.

2 comments:

Dianne said...

Here is an idead for you - you could always take that money and invest in things that your students need to become better learners. I have done that before and it can really help! That is the best of both worlds.
Love,
Mom

cait said...

No, no...you don't need to step off. :) I've been cringing when I hear this story on the news...and to see all the "outsiders" (non-educators) and how WONDERFUL they think it is. Grrrr. Plus, let's do the "that isn't fair" thing and discuss why "those teachers" (AP teachers right now) get the reward and not other teachers whose kiddos take tests that show "achievement" (not that I want this, but still). Okay, now I'm off my own soap box. ;)