Sunday, June 7, 2009

Songs I learned from dad


I find myself singing from time to time; in the shower, in the car, getting ready in the morning- you get the idea (when no one can hear my off key tunes). The songs I sing are not the Top 40. They are songs I remember from my childhood. My dad used to sing them to/with me when I was little. Nope, they are not kid songs either. Here are some of the lyrics I keep myself amused with:

John Prine's Please Don't Bury Me:

Please don't bury me Down in that cold cold ground No, I'd druther have "em" cut me up And pass me all around Throw my brain in a hurricane And the blind can have my eyes And the deaf can take both of my ears If they don't mind the size Give my stomach to Milwaukee If they run out of beer Put my socks in a cedar box Just get "em" out of here Venus de Milo can have my arms Look out! I've got your nose Sell my heart to the junkman And give my love to Rose


Not sure who this is by but equally as good:

Drop kick me Jesus through the goal posts of life End over end neither left nor to right Straight through the heart of them righteous uprights Drop kick me Jesus through the goal posts of life.


Jimmy Buffett's Why Don't we Get Drunk:note we replace "for me and you" to "with Elmer's glue" and "screw" to "achooo"

I just bought a water bed, its filled up for me and you They say you are a snuff queen Honey I dont think thats true So, why dont we get drunk and screw


One more JB favorite:

Cheeseburger in paradise (paradise)Medium rare with mustard 'be nice (paradise)Heaven on earth with an onion slice (paradise)I'm just a cheeseburger in paradise I like mine with lettuce and tomato Heinz 57 and french fried potatoes Big kosher pickle and a cold draft beer Well good god almighty which way do i steer for my


Not at all what you were thinking for my found childhood memories huh? But don't judge there really are some life lessons in these songs and obviously they made a lasting impression with me:) Besides- I didn't turn out so bad. *Pic above from a Jimmy Buffett concert with my dad.

No comments: