Wednesday, October 20, 2010

My new philosophy

Anthony and I talked a couple of weeks ago about the enormous amounts of work I bring home with me. Literally, at the end of a school day I just grab anything that I can finish at home and go. I want to enjoy a walk with my friend, make dinner for the hubby, and have some time to myself (ie- I need a shower). I feel like I can't do those things if I am stuck at school. So, I would lug it all home, walk, make dinner, get a shower, and then sit on the end of the couch while Anthony watched a movie and I would do school work. This is not spending time together. So, we talked about it. I promised I would work harder to not bring a bunch of junk home. That means any free time I have at school is spent devoted to the extras that I don't normally get to work on in a school day. Lunch, early mornings, and plannings are all spent tediously working on the stuff that normally gets brought home. And if it doesn't get finished then it can wait till the next day. I have found that this new philosophy makes me a much happier girl. I actually spend quality time with my husband, get to do things like paint, and relax. I love being a teacher, but first I am a wife and daughter. It feels good to shuffle things around. It doesn't mean I am not as good of a teacher, I'm still the same. Just making room for what is most important and putting it first.

No comments:

Blog Archive