Friday, March 18, 2011

Eating Habits post 2

This year I blend in easily with my fifth graders.  They are so big!  I'm convinced that this is because of the hormones and craziness that is added to our food.  I have always wished I could just eat organic, or have my garden all year round but it hasn't been possible.  I have been researching it more because hopefully we will have another baby in our home soon and as much as I want to eat healthy, I also want that for any child we have here.  I am a bit on the hippie side (as Anthony tells me) and I want to make my own baby food.  Along with this I have a few other goals to help me focus on eating better.  I can't do 100% organic but for now I am going to focus on these things:

  • my garden- I am expanding it and spent last night looking through my gardening books to pick what I want to plant.  I want to have extra this year so that I can can at the end of the season.  Mammaw (Anthony's grandmother) is going to teach me how.
  • organic meat- I've found places around here that do organic beef and pork.  I've heard of one that does chicken but I can't find details
  • Focus on organic milk- it is yummier anyway
  • Get organic from the "dirty dozens" list
    • Apples
    • Bell Peppers
    • Celery
    • Cherries
    • Grapes
    • Nectarines
    • Peaches
    • Pears
    • Potatoes
    • Red Raspberries
    • Spinach
    • Strawberries

No comments: