Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Sea glass


If you know me in real life, or even from this blog, you know I LOVE the beach! Yes, this landlocked Kentucky girl loves the ocean, salt, sand , and breeze. One of my favorite things to do at the beach is look for sea shells. It is an age old tradition, with my dad and I. As a result I have oodles of seashells lying around my house in various places. I would have more but the hubby is insistent we would look crazy, being that we do not own a beach house, and instead own a house in suburbia Kentucky. Anyway, back to the subject. One thing I have never been lucky to find at the beaches I visit is sea glass. I have a small container of it in my house, but it is nothing compared to the shells. Honestly because of the beaches I visit, I really didn't know a lot about sea glass. Something I saw in Coastal Living sparked my interest a bit more, so I did some research. Here is what I found:
What is Sea glass:
1 - A piece of glass has beentumbled by natural wave action to the point where there are no sharply-defined edges or corners, and

2 -The natural action of elements in the water along with sunlight and tumbling action have produced a unique frosted or etched surface covering all sides of the glass.

What can you do with it:

HERE ARE THE 12 Sea Glass Crafts Ideas:

1. Sea glass scrapbook: Want to remember your wonderful vacation? Why not glue your sea glass into a scrapbook along with other memorabilia from your wonderful beach vacation? There are a number of sites on scrapbooks that give many excellent suggestions that could easily by adapted to a scrapbook either only on your sea glass or as part of a collage.

2. Sea glass fountain.

3. Sea glass table lamp.

4. Sea glass candles, candle holders or votive holders.

5. Beach motif mirror or sea glass photo frame.

6. Colorful night lights and light switch plates.

7. Sea glass wine glass markers or charms: Personalize wine markers or party charms are popular. A novel way of helping your friends and loved ones remember whose glass is whose.

8. Sea glass wind chimes, suncatchers, or hanging mobiles.

9. Sea glass mosaics or a sea glass tile.

10. Sea glass, stained glass style.

11. Sea glass beads.

12. Sea glass bead id lanyard.

I plan on putting mine in glass jars/vases and putting them around the house, especially by windows where it catches the light. Since I can't find sea glass in KY and already had my summer beach vacay, I plan on ordering some. It's just too pretty not to!

4 comments:

cait said...

what fun ideas! I have never thought of sea glass to decorate. Thanks for the tips!

Honey said...

I love sea glass as well. We live by the ocean, but your post made me realize that we have not been to the beach yet this summer. I will need to figure out a way to do that before all the nice weather is over.

I am visiting from SITS.

Blessings
Honey

Janet said...

Saw your comment on SITS and had to come look for your giveaway! I love seaglass, and I used to find a TON of it when I lived in San Francisco as a kid. The beaches I've been to as an adult don't seem to have as much. Or maybe people aren't throwing bottles into the ocean anymore?

Alex said...

These are sooo pretty!

*stopping by from SITS*

Blog Archive