Thursday, June 24, 2010

Dare to Care

Twice a month at church is a program called Dare to Care. I haven’t been able to help because of work, but since I’m off for the summer I decided to help out this past week. Basically what happens is a truck rolls up loaded with lots of food. This week they had 2 huge (like car sized) boxes of fresh apples, lettuce, bread, potatoes, and cakes and cookies. When the truck arrives the volunteers start bagging the food and setting it out on tables. There is a line of people that has already formed, waiting patiently for the food. All they have to do to get the food is sign in and put how many people are in their family, then they go through the line and the volunteers hand out the food. On the day I worked, the line was long, as I’m sure is a result partly of the bad economy. There were several kids in the line- all adorable, polite, and very helpful. I loved that one of the volunteers had suckers for the little ones. Their sweet faces lit up at the sight of candy. I love to volunteer, and have been getting back into volunteering more lately, like I used to. This one was very rewarding. I’m looking forward to doing it again in a couple of weeks. I was thinking of baking cookies next time to share as the people went through the line. On a side note Mammaw (Anthony’s mammaw- but everyone needs a mammaw and since I only have grandmas I have adopted her as my own) was there and that is part of the reason I went. I love to hang out with her. She is one of the most kind, giving, and compassionate people I know. On top of all that, in her late 60s she busted her butt unlading apples out of those huge bins, making me feel a bit like a slacker. And after she was finished with Dare to Care, she was heading to volunteer at the nursing home.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a wonderful opportunity to spend time with a loved one, and share the joy of helping others! Thanks for stopping by my blog

Blog Archive