Tuesday, March 16, 2010

My Cast Iron Skilelt

I bought the Pioneer Woman's cookbook the other day. I have tried her Mocha brownies twice now with rave reviews. I now want to try her buttered rosemary rolls . If they are anything like her brownies my mouth is already watering. The problem is I don't have an iron skillet. I was with my parents this weekend and saw some iron skillets at an antique show. I had mentioned to my dad that I needed one and would get one before we left. Unbeknownst to me my parents had my grandmother's iron skillets and weren't using them. So now I am the proud owner of my grandma's iron skillet (makes me feel closer to her). I didn't know what to do with it, so I had to call Anthony's mammaw (now my mammaw because I love her so much) to find out what it meant to season a skillet. Love her heart, of course she knew! In case you would like to try these yummy rolls or the pineapple upside down cake (which is in the Pioneer Woman's cookbook) and you are like me, you have no iron skillet and then you have no idea what to do with it, here is how you season an iron skillet- according to mammaw.

1. get a small amount of bacon grease (I like to make her proud and keep some in a mason jar in my fridge- i don't eat bacon- but the hubby does and I'm convinced I need to keep the extra grease in a jar- it is gross but it has finally come in handy)
2. rub it into the skillet using a paper towel
3. put the skillet on the stove on low or in the oven at a very low temperature for a few minutes
4. take it out of the oven and rub the extra grease from the pan (don't wash it out)
5. repeat this a few times
6. they should be washed briefly with a little soapy water and then rinsed and thoroughly dried
7.Never put cold liquid into a very hot cast iron pan or oven. They will crack

2 comments:

mom said...

OK should I be seriously worried that you are keeping bacon grease since you are my vegetarian daughter who will not even touch bacon. Really I am glad you found out how to do this so I can now know to.
Mom

cait said...

Love the tip! :)

Blog Archive