Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Prep for 5th grade

I am the type of teacher that loves to have what I need in the classroom. Over the years that has come out of my pocket. This year I am thinking differently. With the change in grades I am a little short on materials. I am thinking smarter to save money. Tonight I logged onto good old www.scholastic.com and used up almost all of my bonus points I have stock piled the last couple of months. Do you remember the Scholastic Book Order when you were little? I used to LOVE to get mine. I would spend hours analyzing and circling all the books I liked and then beg mom and dad to buy them for me. Yes, I am/was a complete nerd. But when they arrived at school- aww- it was like Christmas. Back to the point. I have a ton of points saved up from this year (thanks to my 1 child who orders an enormous amount of books each month). Points accumulate based on the number and cost of books purchased by students, and in the end teachers can use their points to buy free materials. So- here is what I bought tonight:

The Greatest Moments in Sports
Newbery Collection
Percy Jackson Set
Two Miserable Presidents
Older Grade Picture Books Value Library
Fantasy Value Library
Holocaust Value Library

All of these books, except for The Greatest Moments in Sports (I know boys will love this one) are multi pack books which equals great deals. This is a pretty good start! Can't wait to figure out where to buy more classroom goodies for free.

1 comment:

laurensmommy said...

Hi, I found your blog through Kelly's and just wanted to say hi. As a former teacher (now a SAHM) I loved Scholastic! But I also found great deals on books at yard sales, goodwill and ebay. If you already know the grade that you will be teaching, you can just purchase a little at a time! :)

Blog Archive